MedTech Europe, the European trade association representing the medical technology industries, is looking for a Senior Manager Communications (Head of Communications). The ideal candidate will be a well-rounded communicator and motivating leader passionate about leading an organisation to communicate effectively around healthcare and medical technology.
The Senior Manager will establish and lead the organisation’s communication objectives in line with the vision and goals of the association and the medical technology sector. They will set out the communications strategy, ensuring that all communications initiatives and channels, including media, campaigns, digital channels, blogs, event communications, policy documents and other content materials, create a strong impact in achieving the organisation’s vision and goals.
They will lead a highly motivated communications team and report to the Director External Affairs. They will also closely work together with the Director External Affairs and the Head of Government Affairs and Public Policy to jointly shape the External Affairs Function in the organisation. Finally, they will collaborate and build a strong partnership with the different technical and policy leads in the organisation to bring high quality and effective communication strategies for one of the top trade associations in Brussels.
Role and Responsibilities:
Strategic Leadership in Communications
- Lead the strategic direction of MedTech Europe’s communications function and oversee the delivery of its objectives, including media relations, digital strategy, Europe-wide communication campaigns, crisis communication and other internal and external communications activities.
- Create, develop, and implement all phases of MedTech Europe’s communication strategy closely aligned with the association’s objectives, policies, procedures and other requirements.
- Suggest opportunities for new projects, improvement in communication processes, and training programmes in communication excellence to enable the association to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Advise, collaborate, and work alongside internal MedTech Europe stakeholders and topic leaders, MedTech Europe members and other partners to devise and implement communications campaigns and projects.
- Put strategies to deal with crisis communications, advise leadership on communications issues and implement crisis communications plans.
Communications Team Lead
- Be a strong team leader to the MedTech Europe communication team, fostering a positive team spirit paired with constructive individual coaching and performance measurement.
- Work together with Director External Affairs and Senior Manager Government Affairs & Public Policy in the management of the External Affairs department.
- Foster strong coordination and open communication within the Communications Team to ensure a smooth and efficient way of working together.
- Facilitate strategic direction amongst the Communications Team based on a balance between a good eye for details and long-term thinking.
- Create and report on communication achievements, engagement metrics and project learnings to MedTech Europe leaders.
- Represent MedTech Europe as the lead on communications in internal and external meetings and events.
- Partner with communication leads and experts within the MedTech Europe Members network through joint projects and activities.
- Manage and advise on the budget allocated to the Communications team.
What we are looking for:
- Around 8 years of solid working experience in strategic communications, with expertise on EU related communications; experience in health or life sciences within the medical technology sector is considered a plus;
- Excellent managerial and organisational skills; with years of experience leading a diverse and multi-functional team;
- Self-starter, enthusiastic and excellent team leader and player with a strong commitment to excellence;
- Educational background in communications, journalism, political science, European studies, health policy or other relevant degrees;
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills with a strong ability to understand and translate technical content into written work fit for different sets of audiences;
- Proven track record and experience in media relations, in particular, working with EU and trade press is desirable;
- Experience in leading crisis communication strategies;
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English, any additionally EU language is considered an asset;
- “Digital native” with a strong knowledge of different communication tools;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Effective communication (written and spoken) with internal and external stakeholders.
Skills & Competencies:
- Strong team leadership skills
- Diplomacy and negotiation skills
- Broad and strategic thinking mindset
- Coordination and project management skills
- Outgoing personality with a positive and engaging appearance
- Proactive attitude with a sense for creating synergies and win-win situations
- Confidence in driving initiatives with members and stakeholders
- Ability to communicate clearly and translate complex information into clear messages
- Ability to prioritise tasks, work independently and provide results against tight deadlines, resilience to workload, positive attitude
- Ability to work autonomously with a high problem-solver and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to find consensus among a wide range of opinions and to work with different functions, teams, and seniority levels
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary package plus additional benefits, including a performance bonus, lunch vouchers, mobile phone subscription, work laptop, pension plan & medical insurance (incl. family);
- Be a representative of a well-established and innovative European industry;
- Internal network of members, experts and coaches who can bring knowledge and experience in managing different communication needs and objectives;
- Opportunity to be a member of a motivated, dynamic and international team;
- Opportunity for training and personal development.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a CV, cover letter and at least two writing samples in English to Sergey Golyshin, Senior Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early applications are encouraged as applicants will be assessed on a rolling basis.