About Cosmetics Europe:
Cosmetics Europe is the European trade association for the cosmetics and personal care industry. Valued at €80 billion in retail sales price, the European cosmetics and personal care market is, along-side the USA, the largest market for cosmetic products in the world.
Cosmetics Europe is a large and well-established organization in Brussels. Its members include manufacturers with a rich mix of well-known popular and luxury brands as well as associations representing the industry at national level in over 30 countries right across Europe.
Cosmetics Europe is currently looking to recruit a Public Affairs Director to lead its representation and advocacy activity at EU level on key policy initiatives and regulatory issues affecting the industry, working in close collaboration with a number of stakeholders inside and outside the organization. In the current intense policy environment, with a range of upcoming legislative initiatives of direct interest to and impact on the cosmetics and personal care industry, this role is central in further strengthening the positioning of the industry vis-à-vis key institutional stakeholders.
Key internal relationships:
The Director of Public Affairs reports directly to the Director General, works in close collaboration with the Cosmetics Europe internal management team, with the Communication department and all relevant internal working groups. Specifically, the Director of Public Affairs leads the work of the Strategic Core Team on Advocacy, Reputation and Communications (SCT ARC). He/she has two direct reports.
Propose and implement a coordinated PA strategy and workplan
- Building strong relationships with internal stakeholders (corporate members, national cosmetics associations, colleagues) to drive alignment and speak as the voice of the whole industry in Europe (at EU level and across member states);
- Strengthening relationships with key external stakeholders (European institutions, NGOs, relevant trade associations) to increase the visibility of the industry and its positions on key policy issues;
- Promoting the industry to external stakeholders;
- Establishing targeted outreach plans on specific issues, skillfully translating technical know-how to political and policy-oriented messaging.
Manage external relations and representation of Cosmetics Europe in meetings
- With a particular focus on the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union;
- Together with the senior management of Cosmetics Europe;
- In line with the strategic PA objectives and ambitions to further strengthen the positioning of the industry in Brussels and across Europe.
Lead the human resources of the Public Affairs department
- Manage and guide team members;
- Budget management and annual reviews of the team.
Lead the Internal working group on Advocacy and Reputation (SCT ARC)
- Build a trust-based relationship with the members to ensure internal alignment;
- Drive membership engagement on key issues related to advocacy and reputation.
Contribute Public Affairs input to technical internal working group discussions
- To support strategic horizontal alignment across teams and workstreams;
- To leverage technical insights in broader advocacy engagement plans.
Ideal candidate profile
- Masters’ degree in law, political science, international relations, economics or similar degree;
- Extensive experience in EU public affairs, preferably with previous experience within a trade association, the industry or similar EU work environment;
- Strong existing network in Brussels with a focus on the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union;
- Experience in building and maintaining strong relationships and achieving consensus;
- Experience with current chemical/consumer goods/ environmental related legislative topics an advantage;
- Team and project management experience;
- Full professional proficiency in English. Strong command of other EU languages is an asset.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Strong interpersonal skills: diplomacy, consensus-building, listening, flexibility and agility;
- Keen to work and interact with a large diversity of stakeholders;
- Strong presentation and communication skills; able to relate at any level of seniority;
- Good level of cross-cultural experience;
- Proactive networker, a positive attitude and hands-on mentality.
Why you should be interested in this opportunity:
- Exciting opportunity to drive the public affairs’ strategy for a leading Industry association and have impact on a number of topics of highest strategic legislative importance;
- Interacting directly with decision makers/partners within the community and sector in Europe and further grow an extensive strong professional network;
- Opportunity to further build management experience leading a small but dedicated team.