InterCollege Amsterdam is looking for a Managing Director. This high-profile role represents an unparalleled opportunity to make a significant and lasting impact in a high growth business and it encompasses strategy, commercial and operational management with focus on academic excellence, student experience and business expansion.
The Managing Director will be responsible for business operations and transformation of InterCollege. This includes developing and structuring processes (IT / Finance / Admissions / HR / Operations) and working with the Group to centralise any relevant operations. He/She will have full P&L responsibility and will be accountable for the commercial performance of the institution. The Managing Director will also develop, report and manage a pipeline of opportunities in accordance with the Group growth strategy and liaise with all relevant stakeholders to ensure that all business operation activities are carried out and all deadlines are met, aligned with the budget and KPIs and in accordance with Group requirements.
This opportunity will provide valuable experience working in the global education arena for one of the most dynamic and entrepreneurial organisations in the sector. The exposure gained across global education and the chance to innovate is unmatched in the sector.
Candidates who apply should be forward-thinking, target-driven, and share the Group’s passion for education and internationalisation. They should also have experience working in a target-oriented environment, managing multiple internal and external stakeholders and be comfortable in a business transformation environment.
Inter College Business School offers a practicality-oriented Business Administration programme. In 2019 Inter College was acquired by Global University Systems (GUS). GUS is an international network of more than 24 Universities and Colleges around the world, brought together by a shared passion for accessible, industry-relevant qualifications.
Key activities and Responsibilities
- Execute InterCollege’s mission and growth objectives according to the business plan.
- Oversee and transform operational business processes including but not limited to finance, IT, HR, Legal, Student Services & Campus Management.
- Implement change management strategies to cope with the ongoing adaptation of the company to internal and external changes.
- Identify and improve operational performance measurements; analysing company performance; planning and forecasting.
- Implement and develop company policy and compliance.
- Ensure high quality arrangements for teaching, learning and student support and manage campus and site.
- Commercial leadership and full P&L responsibility.
- Oversight of student recruitment and performance.
- Continuous improvement of workflows across teams/departments.
- Manage, coach and mentor other senior staff and support their professional development.
- Use data to manage outcomes, quality assuring internal and external facing processes, evaluating progress.
- Monitor industry trends and developments, ever changing employment market needs and ensure InterCollege has a competitive edge both operationally and academically; prepare, develop and implement an effective annual business plan.
- Manage, assess and develop suitability of InterCollege senior leadership team. Lead and Develop the team to ensure that InterCollege offers the highest quality of service and fosters a culture of excellence and innovation.
- Develop and implement the expansion and growth of the business.
- Ensure that company strategy is geared towards growth, profits and increasing.
- Effectively maintain university partnerships and national/international corporation relationships, ensuring compliance with awarding and accreditation bodies.
- Establish high value academic and commercial partnerships and alliances.
- Represent the InterCollege to media, stakeholders, customers and business partners.
- Manage internal stakeholder relationships across InterCollege/GUS employees and senior management team.
- Convene Board of Directors and manage communication between the board and stakeholders
- Develop and maintain an effective marketing and public relations strategy to promote the products, services and image of the Company in the wider community
Strategy and Vision
- Create and implement the company’s vision and mission.
- Developing short/medium/long term business strategies and plans.
- Make proposals to the Board regarding the educational character, activities, and mission of InterCollege, developing an ambitious vision with which to inspire and motivate through the development of a 3-5-year strategic plan, annual operational development plan and annual assessment of the InterCollege’s strategic impact.
- Create effective talent management strategies and framework.
- Nurture and develop high-performing, collaborative departments/ team.
- Evaluate the work of other executive leaders within the company, including directors and academic leads.
Skills and Requirements
- Educated to degree level or equivalent qualification.
- Postgraduate degree, MBA, or Professional Sales, Account Management or Marketing qualification.
- Demonstrable experience in change management and business processes.
- Substantial management experience with a proven track record of customer relationship management of external customers.
- Experience working in a complex organisation and responding to the needs of a wide range of stakeholders.
- Management of large teams and businesses (employees 20-50+).
- Knowledge of Dutch education law, legal framework as well as the operational environment within which universities operate.
- Demonstrable experience of effective negotiation, including developing and agreeing collaboration or commercial agreements.
- Proven track record of business growth and expansion.
- Evidence of preparing and presenting business cases / proposals / tenders.
- Experience in P&L, budgeting, operation
- Experience working with executive decision-makers.
- Fluent in English and Dutch – other languages are a plus.
- Ability to undertake research and collate information as required.
- Good Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure, prioritising tasks appropriately
Personal Qualities / Style
- Enthusiastic, ambitious and confident, professional, flexible and amicable.
- Focussed, output driven and able to meet deadlines on a regular basis.
- Flexible approach to work and the duties carried out.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the confidence and diplomacy to approach people at all levels of seniority.
- Ability to solve problems and work independently under pressure with great attention to detail, making decisions and accepting responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to negotiate and deliver buy-in across different internal functional areas and external stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of education systems, including Higher Education and pre-university education.
- Commercial knowledge and financial / business acumen to analyse market data and identify new opportunities.
- Demonstrable understanding of relevant markets, key players and potential future key players.
- Strong motivation/self starter.