The company is a leading global financial services provider with services predominantly in the insurance and asset management business. It employs over 147,000 people worldwide and has over 100 million retail and corporate clients in more than 70 countries.
The position offered
A leading global financial services provider is looking to hire a new Senior Manager EU Affairs for its European Affairs Office in Brussels, Belgium. The role of the European Affairs Office is to strengthen the company’s presence and advocacy in Brussels, with the Senior Manager EU Affairs conveying the company’s voice into the policy debate and legislative process by leveraging on a deep understanding of content matters, key legislative processes, and the dynamic of political advocacy and consensus building processes.
The Senior Manager EU Affairs reports directly to the Head of the European Affairs Office.
The main tasks and responsibilities
The Senior Manager EU Affairs in Brussels will be responsible, under the guidance of the Head of the European Affairs Office, for the following main tasks:
- Monitoring EU regulatory and policy developments and identifying upcoming issues of relevance to the company, gathering useful political intelligence and fostering the awareness and stance of the company’s policy views
- Providing timely, effective and well-reasoned technical and political advice
- Closely cooperating with various business areas and facilitating appropriate information-sharing and synergies
- Maintaining and extending an established well-routed network with relevant counterparts in EU institutions, bodies and fora, in private sector associations, organizations and think tanks, and in the Financial Services area
- Bringing the company’s voice to the EU policy debate, also by attending selected official meetings and events in Brussels on behalf of the company.
Ideal candidate profile
- Proven excellence in establishing and maintaining working relationships both with internal and external counterparts, including a strong existing and well-routed network with relevant stakeholders in the EU capital
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience with a broad and effective knowledge of the functioning of EU institutions and the EU’s institutional set-up, preferably gained from field experience
- Professional experience in the Financial Services area, in particular Insurance and/or Asset Management
- University level education, preferably a master’s degree in economics, business administration, political science or law; a thorough understanding of economics is a strong asset
- Strong ability to acquire, structure and present political intelligence, gathered through a variety of innovative and established channels, both formal and informal
- Proven ability to multi-task and problem solving, decision making combined with capacity to take the initiative as well as to work independently and as a team player
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, multicultural awareness and confidence in interacting in international settings
- Excellent communication skills and experience in contributing to the policy debate in circles and meetings
- Excellent command of written English, ideally also German. A working knowledge of French would be an asset