ACE – The Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment – provides a European platform for beverage carton manufacturers and their paperboard suppliers to benchmark and profile cartons as renewable, recyclable and low-carbon packaging solutions. Engaging with stakeholders and partners seeking high environmental stewardship, it contributes expertise to EU policy, legislation, and standard setting.
ACE members include beverage carton producers Tetra Pak, SIG Combibloc and Elopak; they develop, manufacture and market systems for the processing, packaging and distribution of food, and produce packaging material at 20 plants in Europe. About 98% of the paperboard used by ACE members in beverage cartons in Europe is produced by Stora Enso in Skoghall (Sweden) and Imatra (Finland), and BillerudKorsnäs in Gävle and Frövi (Sweden), who are also members of ACE.
The Regulatory Affairs Manager will support ACE representation and advocacy activities at EU level on key regulatory issues affecting the beverage carton industry, by facilitating the development of ACE positions and messages in collaboration with company members and other stakeholders.
The position is based in Brussels.
Reporting to the Director-General, the Manager will support the implementation of ACE’s advocacy strategy and operating plan in order to meet the objectives as set by the Board by:
Monitoring EU policy and regulatory developments
- Monitor and analyze key EU policy and regulatory developments, relevant to the beverage carton industry
- Identifies upcoming issues via personal contacts, press and other sources
- Advises members on potential regulatory impact on business
Managing ACE working groups
- Manage and co-ordinate ACE working group activities
- Prepare meetings and meeting documents, consolidate comments, write minutes
- Manage and co-ordinate work with external organizations (industry, NGOs etc.)
Supporting ACE representation towards EU institutions and stakeholders
- Ensure a regular exchange of information with membership; collect and update of data to support ACE advocacy campaigns
- Correspond and meet with representatives of the EU institutions and other stakeholders
- Develop an active and industry relevant network, in close collaboration with DG and Communication manager
- Represent ACE at formal meetings of trade associations and EU institutions, engaging membership
- Proven experience of working on regulatory topics in a European affairs context and an in-depth knowledge of the EU institutions
- A degree in political science, law, European affairs (or any other related field)
- Past experience in advocacy would be a strong asset
- Knowledge of the packaging sector would be considered an asset, especially awareness for issue such as circular economy, food contact materials, etc.
- Native or near-native level of English, with other languages being considered an asset
- An established, professional network in EU affairs
- Excellent self-organisation
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and autonomously
- An opportunity to take ownership of a role that has a direct impact of the work and direction of an entire industry
- Support the industry’s effort in driving positive agenda around recycling and sustainability commitments.
- Drive European alignment of industry positions working with partner organisations from across the continent
- A highly competitive package of salary and benefits.