One of the world’s leading global public relations firms with offices in major media, business and government capitals around the world, is seeking to recruit for its fast growing, 60+ Brussels office an Associate Director with expertise in the EU’s Tech and Trade Policies.
To effectively engage, companies must tell a compelling story, integrated across all channels that resonates with multiple stakeholders. Integrated thinking is at the heart of this effort. Bringing together experts in public affairs, reputation management, corporate communication and healthcare, with specialisms in energy, transport, sustainability, food & agriculture, tech, trade policy, employee engagement, digital communications and crisis management, our team helps organizations influence their operating environment, telling more engaging and compelling stories. Our Brussels operation has a strong focus on EU Public Affairs, international corporate communications and is also active in the Belgian market.
Role and Requirement
The Agency is looking for a commercially astute, dynamic and entrepreneurial senior player who is a rounded EU Tech/Trade Policy expert with a passion and understanding of how technology and the digital economy is shaping the trade sector in the world. The Associate Director Tech/Trade Policy has a key role in the overall success of the Brussels office’s largest practice, including developing and implementing strategies for growth, leading teams and providing senior advice to deliver effective client results, and maintaining a best in class, highly motived team. As a member of the management team, the person will have a critical role in growing the business and determining the future and long-term success of the company. For this position, we are particularly focused on our work in EU Tech/Trade sector spanning specific issues such as cloud computing, AI/VR, data protection, ecommerce, trade, investment and competitiveness issues, market access barriers, customs issues and candidates with knowledge of the main Tech/Trade stakeholders in the region. This role is for a driven, entrepreneurial individual, who has outstanding leadership and business development skills, with vision and passion to develop a critical part of the Agency’s offering, working closely with colleagues across other practices and offices, and maximising the potential that a top tier network agency can offer.
The position is based in Brussels and is a full-time employee position. The Associate Director will directly report to the Co-Managing Director in Brussels.
- Collaborating with other teams across the business to deliver integrated and forward-thinking solutions for clients.
- Provide clients with an early and timely intelligence on wider policy and legislative trends affecting their business and drive internal engagement to assess impact, risks and opportunities.
- Drive business solutions for our clients that will have tangible and quantitative results on their bottom line.
- Closely collaborate with the team in the region to support business development through new and organic business development and gleaning business intelligence.
- Monitor global economic and trade developments; collect and analyze intelligence and press information to anticipate policy developments and to propose adequate of strategies.
- Developing, maintaining and leveraging strong client relationships that result in additional business
- Creating the business plan for their division in line with the overall strategic direction of the business
- Balancing commercial requirements with client needs, ensuring the continual success and profitability of the business unit.
- Developing, maintaining and leveraging an active network of professional contacts.
- Managing resourcing needs for accounts in conjunction with Co-Managing Director, team leads and finance.
- Attracting, recruiting, and retaining talent to secure the Agency’s growth platform.
- Building organizational capability through the implementation of best practices, coaching and feedback of staff.
- Implementing a professional staff development plan with the help of HR to ensure skills are refreshed through team and levels.
- Continuously building a “healthy workplace”, through open communication, empowerment, opportunities for growth, the promotion of a work-life balance, etc.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- University degree in European affairs, trade, politics, foreign affairs and/or international relations.
- Excellent understanding of trade and transatlantic relations.
- Work experience and proven interest in European and international affairs.
- Strong Network in the EU and international institutions, and knowledge of EU decision making procedures, current affairs and a demonstrable understanding of EU legislative developments.
- Proven business development success – from prospecting, to marketing, to owning and winning large pitch opportunities.
- Supportive, inspiring and motivational manager.
- Collaborative colleague capable of developing a senior peer group across the agency.
- Incisive, critical thinker.
- Highly commercially astute and decisive.
- Effective communicator and proven influencer.
- Self-aware and able to adapt personal style and approach.
- Calm and authoritative in response to issues or crisis.
The candidate will have a mandatory public affairs experience acquired either in an EU Institution, in a public affairs/public relations agency or in the in-house corporate environment. Candidates must have strong client service or performance record and be able to interact with senior management. Ideally, candidates will have a proven record of accomplishment in leading new business acquisition.
Competitive salary package depending on skills and experience. Other additional benefits provided under Belgian Law. Bonuses based on performance.
If you are interested in this position please send your CV and Cover Letter exclusively to Julien Schiettecatte at firstname.lastname@example.org.