The Centre on Regulation in Europe (CERRE) is the European not-for-profit think tank dedicated to ever better regulation for the energy, tech, media, telecom, mobility and water sectors. Established in Brussels in 2010, CERRE is fully committed to excellence and innovation. The independence of its work makes the think tank a trusted partner for stakeholders, including policymakers at European and national levels, while 50+ members include major operators and regulators from across these industries, as well as reputable academic centres. CERRE brings decisive contributions for robust and efficient regulation in Europe and beyond through top quality in-depth research and lively debates.
Europe’s ambitious decarbonisation targets have become a common horizon for European and national policy makers. Yet, achieving a just transition and a carbon-neutral economy by 2050 requires unprecedented joint efforts. Addressing the climate and energy challenges requires a thorough understanding of ever-changing markets and actors, infrastructure developments and affordability of energy for citizens. CERRE actively engages with academics, policymakers, regulators, international organisations, the industry, and civil society to move climate and energy regulation forward.
In the midst of an exciting period of growth, the Centre on Regulation in Europe (CERRE) is looking for a dynamic, proactive and creative senior executive who will be heading our energy, climate and water regulation-related activities.
Reporting to the Director General, our new colleague will:
- Have full P/L responsibility and accountability for her/his practice based on jointly set objectives;
- Work with our member organisations (corporations, regulatory authorities and academic centres) and academic team to design and fund a work programme in the energy, other climate change–impacted industry sectors, and water / environmental services. This programme includes research projects, policy papers, (online, physical and hybrid) events and other activities that bring incisive policy recommendations for on-going debates and help set the future agenda;
- Direct and deliver that programme with the help of a small, dedicated team and in close cooperation with colleagues from communications management;
- Strengthen CERRE’s position and make us an indispensable voice in policymaking and regulation among the relevant industry sectors, policy makers and stakeholders;
- Help us deliver more value to our members, by meeting their needs while upholding our independence;• Recruit new corporate and regulatory organisations to join CERRE’s membership;
- Have an active role within CERRE’s leadership team and help advance CERRE’s overall strategy and activities.The ideal candidate:
- Has at least 10 years’ demonstrated experience in public affairs linked to energy, climate and, possibly, water policy issues;
- Is a natural, assertive entrepreneur – always ready to launch and successfully implement new initiatives and activities for his/her own practice but also beyond (i.e., including links to digital and mobility policies and activities);
- Possesses excellent knowledge of the European policy process, its key players and the topics driving the energy, climate and, possibly, water agenda;
- Can demonstrate delivery of outstanding results – in programme management, in shaping European policy, in membership development and/or in managing a business unit;
- Enjoys writing new content and developing innovative ideas (ability to promote and communicate content through social media is a significant advantage);
- Is an excellent communicator, equally at ease in dealing with senior executives from our membership, with policymakers of all levels and the wider policymaking community, and with our academic team;
- Already has and can develop a personal network of contacts within the EU institutions;
- Will be an enthusiastic colleague, setting high standards for his/her own work, helping others meet their objectives and always focused on finding a solution;
- Is fluent in written and spoken English (French and/or other languages always a plus).
As a leading European thinktank, CERRE promotes an intellectually stimulating culture, in which employees are encouraged to practice agency, creative problem-solving, and collaboration. CERRE’s Energy, Climate and Water practice presents an opportunity to engage with academia, industry leaders and decision makers at the forefront of energy and environment policies, helping to shape the future European climate landscape. You will also enjoy engaging within a small multinational team as well as across a wide number of external stakeholders. The position is based in Brussels (Avenue Louise/Bois de la Cambre) and a competitive package is on offer to the right candidate, who is ideally able to start as soon as possible.