The Think Tank
The think tank in question is a highly established organisation within the regulatory and policy sphere of Brussels, especially in matters of facilitating and encouraging sound regulation in the fields of energy, technology/digital, media, telecom, mobility, as well as other key sectors.
The think tank serves as the go-to forum bringing together stakeholders from the industry, government/EU institutions, academia, the tertiary sector and other groups by addressing crucial regulatory and policy questions. As a well-established organisation in the sphere of regulatory networks, they are seeking an experienced communications professional to ensure that the bar of communications work remains as high as it has been throughout its existence.
The successful candidate will show they have the skills and personality to design an innovative communications strategy which secures expanded visibility for the think tank – and enhanced impact of its work – in Brussels, in Member States and beyond Europe.
They will have the opportunity to communicate on hotly anticipated studies making practical recommendations that help shape future regulation, while playing a key role in the management of a leading European think tank.
The Head of Communications will develop, drive and manage all communications content, strategies and activities to ensure impact of the think tank’s studies, events and work streams.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, they will contribute to the overall strategy for the think tank. This includes the organisation’s development, strategic
direction, membership management, membership value, secretariat evolution and team needs.
The successful candidate will build out and direct a small team that delivers the organisation’s communications and events activities. Supported by the communications team, the Head of Communications will:
- Develop, manage and implement the think tank’s communications strategy including a broad range of online and offline communications activities; ensure a steady cadence of these activities, including events, social media, media relations, etc.
- Manage and further develop the think tank’s identity, ensuring consistency of branding and messaging across all channels. Set and monitor standards and guidelines to ensure consistency and quality of messaging.
- Manage the corporate communications to position the think tank as a global organisation of reference in the regulation of network and digital industries.
- Check and review crisis communications processes regularly as the context around the think tank evolves.
- Manage all communications activities related to the launch of relevant studies:
- Engage with colleagues from across the organisation to define outcomes, objectives and key messages from research projects.
- Oversee the development and delivery of public events to present research.
- Draft key messages and oversee the preparation of communications materials (website text, press releases, infographics, videos, social media content and visuals).
- Successfully deliver campaigns through engaging, advising and encouraging colleagues on the best use of communications tools.
- Oversee every aspect and check the quality of content for all communication channels and tools including website, social media, events, and internal communications.
- Manage the production of all communications materials, including reports, issue papers, op-eds, briefings, blogs, videos, visuals, newsletters, annual reports, etc.
- Strengthen and develop long-term relationships with editorial desks and individual journalists (at national, EU and global levels), pitch stories and interviews (with senior think tank staff and academics), draft press releases, opinion pieces, blogs, etc.
- Develop creative digital content across a variety of formats on all online channels and social media.
- Oversee the development, promotion and delivery of high-profile events with Commissioners, MEPs, CEOs, and C-Suite stakeholders.
The Head of Communications will report to the Director-General.
- Great communicator.
- Significant experience developing and leading communications programmes, preferably in a think tank, NGO, public affairs agency or industry association.
- Experience leading and motivating a team to deliver ambitious results.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the European bubble and its key players.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, able to work as part of a small and dynamic team (~10 people in the Brussels office).
- Positive, ambitious, resilient, entrepreneurial, and solutions-focused.
- Excellent English skills. Clear, fluent and concise analytical and (oral and written) communication skills. French and/or German are a plus.
- Significant media relations experience and contacts with a wide variety of journalists relevant to the think tank’s activities.
- Ability to quickly understand complex economic or legal material, identify key messages and translate these into effective communications.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- The opportunity to shape a team and the work of a respected European thinktank with your own input and ideas
- Join a respected thinktank that sets the agenda and defines the debates national, international and EU stakeholders, industry, academia and the wider public lead
- Become part of a highly regarded team of professionals on regulation, whose opinion and contribution is taken into account by Big Tech CEOs and EU Commissioners alike
- A highly competitive and encouraging salary package (employee/freelancer)