European Aluminium, founded in 1981 and based in Brussels, is the voice of the aluminium industry in Europe. They actively engage with decision makers and the wider stakeholder community to promote the outstanding properties of aluminium, secure growth and optimise the contribution our metal can make to meeting Europe’s sustainability challenges. Through environmental and technical expertise, economic and statistical analysis, scientific research, education and sharing of best practices, public affairs and communication activities, European Aluminium promotes the use of aluminium as a material with permanent properties that is part of the solution to achieving sustainable goals, while maintaining and improving the image of the industry, of the material and of its applications among their stakeholders. Their 80+ members include primary aluminium producers; downstream manufacturers of extruded, rolled and cast aluminium; producers of recycled aluminium and national aluminium associations are representing more than 600 plants in 30 European countries. Aluminium products are used in a wide range of markets, including automotive, transport, high-tech engineering, building, construction, and packaging.
The Environemental Manager – Building will report to the Director Engineered Products and work with the Consultant Innovation and LCA, the Manager Building & Standardisation. S/He will help further develop sustainability activities for aluminium used in buildings in line with European Aluminium Sustainability roadmap. The main tasks will be the coordination of internal projects with member companies, sustainability advocacy towards European and International standardisation bodies, and management of the European Aluminium Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) programme.
The work will focus on aluminium framing systems used for doors, windows and curtain walls, as well as flat aluminium products used for cladding and roofing applications.
Coordination of internal projects:
- Further develop the sustainability action plan.
- Propose and coordinate sustainability-related projects.
- Manage and improve the EPD Programme of European Aluminium and use its life cycle assessment (LCA) and Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) software.
- Identify opportunities and threats.
- Develop dynamic communication with experts from member companies.
- Promote aluminium recyclability credentials in standards and legislation.
- Represent European Aluminium in other associations they work with: Metals for Buildings, Construction Products Europe…
- Further contribute to the development of LCA methodologies for building products.
- Contribute to the development of position papers and infographics.
- Preferably an engineering or environmental science degree.
- Good communication skills in English, both oral and written. The knowledge of additional languages would be an asset, particularly German or Dutch.
- Previous knowledge of LCA (LCI databases, LCA software) is required.
- The candidate should be a team player.
- Able to work in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Be eager to learn and be ready to travel throughout Europe.
- Exciting and challenging job in an energetic, professional and collaborative work environment.
- European Aluminium’s secretariat is a large structure offering opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- Work closely with a team of highly qualified experts in various fields.
- Contribute to organisation’s work on one of policy topics central to the EU agenda at the moment, focusing on sustainability and environment.
- Full-time permanent position under a Belgian contract.
- Competitive salary with a range of extra-legal benefits.
- Starting date as soon as possible, position expected to be filled before the summer 2021.