Portland is a fully integrated communications consultancy with dedicated specialists experienced in the development and implementation of public affairs and communications strategies, and with services including political and regulatory risk management, integrated advocacy campaigns, reputation management, and crisis communications.
To strengthen its presence in Germany, Portland Communications is looking for a Director to join and lead its Berlin team.
With its work being fast-paced, European and global in scope, Portland seeks a highly motivated individual with real passion for German and EU affairs, and a very good understanding of the German political system and media landscape.
The position offered:
The Director will be responsible for providing day-to-day leadership, sound management and strategic direction in both the development of new strands of business activity and the serving of existing high-level and prestigious clients in the healthcare, development and sports sector.
S/He can expect to work on exciting projects and on a broad range of political topics. The firm’s clients have a strong international orientation, which is why the Director will work closely with other colleagues based in Brussels, Paris, London, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
S/He will also have a head of office role, leading a small but talented team and growing the office in line with the company’s objectives.
- Provide leadership, direction, support, encouragement and opportunities for professional development to clients and new business teams
- Successfully manage client account budgets and team workloads, ensuring appropriate levels of account profitability
- Provide strategic advice on policy and media issues
- Design and implement regional and global campaign plans for clients, including media and digital communications
- Develop messaging and content that resonate in the German communications landscape
- Contribute actively to the overall new business strategy and operations of the company.
- Promote the Portland brand in the marketplace
Ideal candidate profile
Portland is interested in meeting interesting people who question why decisions are made, who are intellectually curious about the world around them, and able to come up with creative solutions.
Key skills and experience:
- At least 6 years of proven industry experience in political communication, public affairs, policy development and negotiation, or journalism within the Berlin environment.
- Thriving when managing complex issues and projects and have a profound understanding of the policy-making process and media landscape in Germany.
- Sound political judgment, strong analytical skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills in both German and English; the ability and confidence to serve demanding public and private sector clients at the highest levels.
- Commercially driven and ambitious, well networked and with proven ability to identify and develop new business.
- Proven ability to manage, mentor and inspire staff and develop talented teams in a fast-growing environment.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, willing to take risks, with a logical, creative and flexible approach to solving problems, and an enthusiastic ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Experience in communicating for sports organization or the sport sector is a plus.