BCW is the global communications agency that moves people on behalf of clients. BCW partners with clients in the B2B, consumer, corporate, crisis management, healthcare, public affairs, purpose, and technology sectors to set strategic direction for all communications and create powerful and unexpected ideas that earn attention. Through an “Earned-Plus” offer – earned media plus paid media, creative technology, data, AI, and an expanding suite of innovative capabilities – BCW moves people with power and precision to move its clients forward. BCW is a part of WPP (NYSE: WPP), a creative transformation company.
About the position:
Burson Cohn & Wolfe (BCW) Brussels, a leading and award-winning integrated public affairs and communications consultancy, is hiring a Director to join its Sustainability Practice. Our client is looking for an individual with a passion for EU Public Affairs and the European Green Deal, who has a good network in Brussels, can build rapport and counsel clients, and translate client needs into actionable campaign strategies.
At BCW Brussels, you will find a collegiate and collaborative environment focused on opportunity and a growth mindset. Teams are diverse and talented and deliver innovative solutions to a celebrated client roster. BCW offers depth and breadth of communications capabilities and industry expertise, matched by cutting-edge tools. Our client’s counsel and campaigns combine deep policy knowledge with innovative digital and social elements, and they make the most of BCW’s global network to create global impact and move people.
What you’ll do as you move with BCW:
- Lead key accounts in the chemicals and sustainability area, including some of the worldwide largest players chemicals
- Provide strategic advice to a wide range of clients including multinational blue-chip companies, international organisations and EU institutions;
- Act as a day-to-day point of contact for clients;
- Direct and support client advocacy;
- Develop and implement integrated public affairs campaigns on EU policy issues in Brussels and across EU member states;
- Manage overall quality and delivery of work on multiple accounts in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Oversee client budgets, business strategy and optimise client profitability;
- Play an important role in leading and/or supporting new business opportunities; and
- Manage, develop, inspire, and motivate team members.
Experience that contributes to your success:
- At least 8 to 10 years relevant experience in EU public affairs, notably in a consultancy, industry or in a trade association;
- Government experience, notably within the EU Institutions is an advantage;
- Knowledge of EU and international chemicals policy, notably classification and labelling, REACH (Restrictions and Authorisations), UN Conventions;
- Knowledge and keen interest in EU sustainability policy and decision-making processes, with a focus on the European Green Deal.
- A strong network of contacts with EU policymakers, the media and with the business community on sustainability issues;
- A Master’s Degree in a relevant field, such as EU or international politics, law, environmental policy, sustainability etc;
- Experience in people management;
- Experience in client and budget management;
- Strong team spirit, with a hands-on and solution-driven growth mindset;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Critical thinking with a desire to learn in a fast-paced and international environment;
- Familiarity with digital and social campaigns is an advantage; and
- Excellent spoken and written English – other languages are a plus.
Why you should join BCW:
BCW wholly believes that creating truly inclusive and innovative solutions is critical to its success, so Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (I.D.E.A.) are embedded into everything they do for their people, agency, clients, and the communities they serve. They strongly encourage applications from talent across all dimensions of race/ethnicity and the LGBTQ+, differently abled.
And while there is no one kind of BCW person, everyone at BCW has something in common: a mindset, a way of responding to challenges with openness, curiosity, and a commitment to learning. BCW will feed that drive by rewarding courageous tenacity and nurturing your dynamic career.
Organisations and industries are evolving at a rapid pace while operating in increasingly complex, connected stakeholder ecosystems. To grow and thrive in this environment, its clients need to engage colleagues, consumers, customers, and other key constituents who are more diverse, elusive, and over-stimulated than ever before. They have to move people – all kinds of people – to think differently, feel deeply and act urgently.
BCW moves people with power and precision to move its clients forward. Join BCW in #MovingPeople.
How to apply
You can apply by sending your CV and a cover letter to Jason Descamps, at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ‘Director (Chemicals) – Sustainability Practice’ in the subject line.
Mavens of many backgrounds
At Mavence, our mission is to deliver the best talent in public affairs. Inclusion is a core element of that mission, reflecting not just our belief that diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences strengthen the resilience, adaptability, and performance of a team, but our commitment to far-reaching and insight-driven searches that look beyond superficial metrics to find the best person for a particular job. We treat all candidates equally regardless of gender, age, ethnic origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, and political or religious beliefs.