Eurometaux is the decisive voice of non-ferrous metals producers and recyclers in Europe. The umbrella association represents the interests of the combined non-ferrous metals industry towards EU policy makers. Eurometaux aims to promote sustainable production, use and recycling of non-ferrous metals in Europe; as well as a supportive business environment for our members to thrive in
Eurometaux is seeking to recruit a Chemicals Management Officer to join its Chemicals Management team made of eight professionals.
The European Commission has launched last year its Green Deal, i.e. its plan to make the EU’s economy sustainable. The Green Deal aims at boosting the efficient use of resources by moving to a clean, circular economy & restore biodiversity and cut pollution. One of the Green Deal’s building blocks to reach these objectives is the Zero Pollution Ambition towards a toxic-free environment. With the latter, the EU wants to better prevent and remedy pollution from air, water, soil, and consumer products so as to better protect Europe’s citizens and ecosystems
The Zero Pollution Ambition will include different pillars:
- The Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability
- The Zero Pollution Action Plan for water, air and soil
- The revision of measures to address pollution from large industrial installations
At the same time the EU wants to boost the investment and innovative capacity for production and use of chemicals that are safe and sustainable by design, and throughout their life cycle and play a leading role globally by championing and promoting high standards and not exporting chemicals banned in the EU.
More about the position and key responsibilities
The Chemicals Management Officer will be working with the Chemicals Management team on a variety of topics related to the Commission Zero Pollution Ambition objectives, their regulatory developments and their implementation within the sector. S/he will report to the Chemicals Management Director but also be in active liaison with the other Eurometaux departments on Energy and Climate Change, Trade, Sustainability, Communications and PR.
S/he will provide specific support to
- monitoring the above regulatory activities;
- informing the members on these legislations/programmes and any developments;
- acting as the facilitating interface with the European Authorities (European Commission, European Parliament & Council) and national authorities in two directions, i.e. by raising and defending the metals needs and specificities at authorities’ level and communicating authorities’ expectations to members;
- in working pro-actively in bringing new issues to the attention of the European table, a not just reacting to issues;
- in organizing and coordinating platforms where members can exchange & develop responses on chemicals management challenges;
- in supporting the development of methodologies and tools required to address those challenges and providing training.
MSc in industrial engineering, biology, environmental sciences, environmental law, economics (or other relevant fields)
- Experience in a similar role in a (metal) industry environment;
- Interest and knowledge in the EU regulatory arena;
- Interest and experience in technical project management (set up, support and manage); a specific experience in projects aimed at addressing chemicals management issues related to the regulatory challenges affecting the metals sector is a strong asset;
- Interest in establishing and developing networks with industry environmental, safety and occupational professionals and with authorities, academics.
- Problem-solving and good analytical skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to function effectively under pressure;
- Solution focused, with some decision-making abilities;
- Strong interest in learning about technical and regulatory aspects of relevance to the sector and in particular on chemicals management related topics (e.g. site-, chemicals and product-related legislation)
- Sense of professionalism with excellent English written and verbal communication skills; fluency in another or more EU languages is a desirable asset;
- IT proficient, using the Microsoft Office Suite, project management software, etc.
- Adaptability and accountability;
- High comfort level working in a diverse, fast-paced, fluid and collaborative environment with some direction;
- A ‘can-do’ attitude by being task orientated and outcomes driven;
- Team player